Lamido Sanusi, governor of the Nigeria central bank laments on what he sees as miss-alocation of Nigeria’s resources to the detriment of infrastructure development. Sanusi stated in Nigeria while delivering a paper entitled, “Reinvigorating education in Nigeria: An essay in honour of Professor Adamu Baike.”
Excerpt from his speech:
“Do we need 36 states? Do we need the number of ministries that we have? Is an economy where states spends 96 percent of their revenue paying civil servant an economy that is likely to grow in the long run? These are difficult questions that we need to ask.”
“We have created states and local governments and ministries as structures that are economically unviable and the result is that we do not have funding for infrastructure, we do not have funding for education; we do not have funding for health. I don’t know how many people know that 70 percent of the revenue of the federal government is spent paying salaries and overhead; leaving the rest 30 percent for 150 million Nigerians”.